I gave in, I added Cassie’s Cheese Straws to my baking list. Only I did it slightly differently because I have to be me and because I didn’t have some of key ingredients or a cookie press.
They are really good. I left out the hot sauce and the cayenne ’cause I didn’t have any, I don’t like hot things at all and I want to feed these to the nephew, and while he eats most things, I don’t want to risk it.
This batch has been mostly bagged up for my Christmas bag of treats!
Cheese Stars (adapted from Back to Her Roots)
8oz cheese (I used Colliers, which is my favourite!)
60z butter, cubed
1/2 teaspoon Worcester sauce
1 and 3/4 cups plain flour
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon mustard powder
1 teaspoon smoked sea salt
1) Pre heat oven to
2) Use the grater disc of your food processor to grate the cheese or grate by hand.
3) Change the attachment to the processor blade or put cheese, butter egg and Worcester sauce into food processor and pulse until combined.
4) Add the flour, paprika mustard powder and salt and pulse the processor until a dough forms. The dough will be soft but not sticky.
5) Take a chunk of the dough and roll out on a floured surface until about the thickness of a pound coin and cut the shapes out. I used a star but use what you fancy or you can cut into straws!
6) Brush with milk and bake for about 10 to 13 minutes, until the edges are slightly browned.
7) Let cool and then either eat or store!