Another soup recipe. Another recipe from Bill Granger. Here I am trying to cook different things and two weeks in a row I’ve cooked soup. I blame the weather, it’s autumn and as it get cold and wet, I want big bowls of comfort.
This soup exactly fits the bill and as we come to the end of the month is great for the budget. It’s also a perfect no effort soup. You soak the beans, add the other ingredients and stick it in the oven. 2 hours later you’re rewarded with something that tastes amazing and makes your kitchen smell great too.
It’s not a vegetarian dish, but I think if you wanted to leave out the pancetta, you could add some parmesan rinds (I keep rinds in the freezer for adding to soups) to the stock to give the stock more depth.
Borlotti, pancetta and spring green soup
(adapted from Bill’s Basics)
375g /10½oz dried borlotti beans
2 red onions, diced
100g /3½oz pancetta, chopped
6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
4 celery stalks, diced
½ teaspoon dried chilli flakes
1 litre vegetable stock + 1 litre water
A bunch of spring greens (about 250g), shredded
1) Soak the beans in a bowl of cold water for 8 hours or overnight.
2) Pre heat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4/350F
3) Rinse and drain the beans and put them in a large casserole dish.
4) Add all the other ingredients and pour in the stock and the water.
5) Cover and put in the oven for 2 hours.
6) Remove from the oven, add the greens and put the lid back on. Leave for a couple of minutes, until the greens are softer.
7) Serve in big bowls.