I’m not much for changing recipes to make them healthier. I am all for changing recipes to suit how I live though. I very rarely have milk (horrible stuff) in the house, so recipes requiring milk either don’t get made or get thinned down yogurt. These pancakes are great but sour cream isn’t one of things I normally have in the house. So one day I just swapped the sour cream for plain low fat yogurt. That worked so well this is how I make them now. Pancakes with blueberry sauce and coffee are my Saturday morning treat. Try it, it’s impossible to feel grumpy after you’ve had this for breakfast!
For the pancakes
1/2 a cup plain yogurt
3 and a 1/2 tablespoons plain flour
1/2 a tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
For the sauce
1 cup frozen blueberries
1) Heat a cast iron skillet or griddle over medium-low heat; you want it to slowly get nice and hot.
2) Stir the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt together in the bottom of a medium bowl.
3) Add the yogurt, stir it together gently; it’s okay to leave the texture a bit uneven.
4) Add the egg and vanilla and stir them into the sour cream mixture, once again, being careful not to overmix.
5) Melt about a tablespoon of butter in your skillet or griddle and pour the batter in, a scant 1/4 cup at a time. Cook for about 2 minutes on the first side, or until bubbles appear all over the surface, flipping them carefully and cooking for about a minute on the other side. Repeat with remaining batter.
6) Put the blueberries in a pan and over a medium heat, they should warm up and get all gloopy.