September is always an interesting month, I still can’t shake the back to school vibe of it, especially as it’s always after my birthday month. It’s different this year because I’m also coming to the end of my first growing season, so I’m planning for next year and putting things to bed, while still picking tomatoes and courgettes. Generally, it’s been a busy month and I feel like I haven’t had a lot of time, but I think I’m just adjusting to the darker evenings.
- Decoration. In 2016, I need to paint the bathroom, bedroom and living room again. I’d like to tackle the bathroom before June but the other rooms will have to wait until I have full use of my foot again! I haven’t done any of this, I think this is going to have to wait until after the summer because right now, the allotment is where most of my time and money will go.
- De-clutter. I want to have another clear out of the cupboard of doom and have a serious look at what’s in the kitchen. Kitchen was done in January and the cupboard of doom is more tidy than I thought my current plan is do this when I have a week off in August, because one of things I really need to do is sort out some more suitable storage for things like the spare duvets etc
- Deep cleaning. I will assign a weekend every three months to deep clean the flat. In this weekend I will scrub the floors, clean the oven and windows and all that stuff I’m not good at remembering to do! This is going well, the flat is tidy and at time of writing I have a clean oven, defrosted fridge, clean windows and floors!
Chest of drawers clear out. I didn’t get to this, I have thrown some stuff away but not done a proper sort out.
Clean the oven. It got a wipe down but not a proper clean
- Tracking. I’ve been using a spreadsheet, that Ma (the queen of the spreadsheets!) helped me set up. It tracks what goes in and out of my bank account and what’s left. It also helps me plan for the year. In 2016, I will be consistent about using it. I’m totally on the tracking thing. Still there, I still don’t have any money but I know how much money I don’t have!
- Food Budget. This one is already in play, in 2016 I will set a food budget of £15 a week and I will record my spending and eating on this blog each Tuesday. Any money I don’t spend each week will go into the change jar, which is sealed and won’t be opened until 1st December 2016. This is still happening, I’ve not been planning as well as I was and so I’ll need to get back on track in October.
- Overdraft. I have one and I want it gone, so I will pay it off in 2016. My overdraft is still halfway gone and I’m ok with that. It’s been harder to get it down in the second half of the year because my rent went up. I’m going to start trying a bit harder in Sept but I’m not going to be devastated if it doesn’t happen this year.
- Credit Cards. I won’t use them in 2016. I reserve the right to use them in an emergency but I can’t plan for those… Less success with this target, they have been used, it was sort of a family emergency and I’m not saying anymore than that!
BODY AND MIND
Home and finance all contribute to how I feel about myself but the focus of this category is on health, exercise, mental well being and ease of living.
Walking . Walking more was a game changer for me in 2015 and I want to get back to that, obviously that will depend on how my foot recovery goes. So I need to have small, long term goals for this, a) by the end of March 2016, I would like to be walking either to work from Paddington Station OR from work to Paddington Station, that’s about 35 minutes a day. b) by the end of June 2016 I would like to be walking both ways and getting my 10,000 steps a day. I’m calling this one, it’s not happening (and I lost my fitbit at the allotment!). I will make an effort in the winter to walk to Paddington from work but at the moment, between the allotment and the pollution walking is not happening because I don’t have time and I can’t breathe. Body Balance. I love doing this when I do and my work gym membership resumes in July. So I’d like to go to one class a week in July and August and then resume 2 classes a week from September.This isn’t going to happen. I don’t think my foot is at all up to it and the money for gym membership is for this year going to be used on the allotment. That’s how it goes but I’m shelving Balance and will look at it again in 2017.
- Yoga. The evening routine is good for me so by the end of February, I want to be doing this at least twice a week. I’ve been hitting this twice a week but need to have a think about doing more or finding a consistent 15 minute routine.
- Volunteering. I want to start attending the volunteer allotment days in June and this year use the two CSR days work gives me. I’m sure that my Mum can find a use for me either at the foodbank or the homeless project! I volunteered at the Ealing Half Marathon, am doing web content for the EDAS web site and attended my first Neighbourhood Watch Meeting this week. I’m looking after nephews this weekend and am booked to have the Baxter children sometime in November. Ma will probably need assistance at the Food Bank after Harvest Festival
- Books. The 12 book target was good but restrictive last year, I’m going to give myself a bit more leeway and have 24 books this year. I’ve bought 19 books so far this year (I went a bit crazy in August!)
- Work Uniform. This year I want to have a work uniform, but not use it as an excuse for buying more stuff. I need to wear office clothes 4 days a week so I will create 6 outfits for work make sure that 4 of them are clean and ready to go for Monday morning. This is still one of the best ideas, I’ve ever had and it works brilliantly for me, although I’ve had to be a bit more creative over the summer as clothes I love (looking at you linen shirts) have got to the great clothes bin in the sky!
Little Goals for September
Stretching. I have to be honest, I’ve not done this every day consistently. I’ve done it properly about 15 days this month and stretched what hurt when I needed to.
Yoga. I had a goal of twice a week and I absolutely did that. Sundays and Mondays mostly
Clear the water filled tank at that top of the allotment, move it next to the other one.
Burn one of the piles of weeds and organise the compost area (yes I have an area, it’s a mess!)
Clear the peas and sweetpeas. Done and bonus taking the frame down.
Put the other raised bed in. Done not filled yet because we haven’t decided what to do with it.
Get shallot sets and garlic bulbs for planting in October. Planted the garlic, foxes dug it up. Bought things to protect it from the foxes.