Goodbye June. That went really quickly! I can see the uptick in my mood due to the longer days, even when I’m miserable it’s easier to throw off and not dwell. June has mainly been an allotment, staying close to home month and there’s nothing wrong with that. Ok again a brief recap of the major goals and then the little goals, some of the year goal will look the same as last month!
- Decoration. In 2016, I need to paint the bathroom, bedroom and living room again. I’d like to tackle the bathroom before June but the other rooms will have to wait until I have full use of my foot again! I haven’t done any of this, I think this is going to have to wait until after the summer because right now, the allotment is where most of my time and money will go…
- De-clutter. I want to have another clear out of the cupboard of doom and have a serious look at what’s in the kitchen. Kitchen was done in January and the cupboard of doom is more tidy than I thought my current plan is do this when I have a week off in August, because one of things I really need to do is sort out some more suitable storage for things like the spare duvets etc.
- Deep cleaning. I will assign a weekend every three months to deep clean the flat. In this weekend I will scrub the floors, clean the oven and windows and all that stuff I’m not good at remembering to do! This is going well, the flat is tidy and at time of writing I have a clean oven, defrosted fridge, clean windows and floors!
Little Goals – Home
Clean the windows. The every three months for the windows doesn’t really work until the windows are open all the time. They got done in February and haven’t needed it. Now they do. I did this on Thursday night, the last day of the month, mostly because I didn’t want to have to say I hadn’t done it here. Motivation….
Sort out clothes. Time to put away the winter clothes and send winter coats to the dry cleaners. Rain stopped play. Seriously, it’s not been warm enough all the time to do this, I’m still wearing boots for goodness sake!
- Tracking. I’ve been using a spreadsheet, that Ma (the queen of the spreadsheets!) helped me set up. It tracks what goes in and out of my bank account and what’s left. It also helps me plan for the year. In 2016, I will be consistent about using it. I’m totally on the tracking thing. Still there, I still don’t have any money but I know how much money I don’t have!
- Food Budget. This one is already in play, in 2016 I will set a food budget of £15 a week and I will record my spending and eating on this blog each Tuesday. Any money I don’t spend each week will go into the change jar, which is sealed and won’t be opened until 1st December 2016. I’ve gone over the budget a couple of times, but this has been brilliant for me, the weekly updates are helpful in keeping me on track and I’ve become more mindful of being creative with what I have in the house.
- Overdraft. I have one and I want it gone, so I will pay it off in 2016. I’m halfway there. No change overdraft is halfway there and might stay there for a little bit
- Credit Cards. I won’t use them in 2016. I reserve the right to use them in an emergency but I can’t plan for those… Less success with this target, they have been used, it was sort of a family emergency and I’m not saying anymore than that!
- Have one week this month were I only spend £10 on groceries. I think a week of ‘less’ is good for making sure that I don’t have too much food in the house. Yep and this is still a great idea for me, the last week before payday is a good time for me to do this because that way, I’m making sure that everything gets used up.
- Stay on track. The temptation to buy all the gardening things is still enourmous! This is for financial as well as mental health reasons. Progress on the allotment needs to be slow and steady so I stick at it. So I have to practice patience as well as fiscal prudence! I’m maybe not being as disciplined as I could be about this. I’m still within limits but I do need to get stricter with myself on this.
BODY AND MIND
- Walking. Walking more was a game changer for me in 2015 and I want to get back to that, obviously that will depend on how my foot recovery goes. So I need to have small, long term goals for this, a) by the end of March 2016, I would like to be walking either to work from Paddington Station OR from work to Paddington Station, that’s about 35 minutes a day. b) by the end of June 2016 I would like to be walking both ways and getting my 10,000 steps a day. I’ve not been walking to or from the station to the office. The good news is that I’m doing about 70,000 steps a week, so am hitting an average of 10,000 a day. I’m not fulfilling the exact target but I’m in the ballpark and happy with this.
- Body Balance. I love doing this when I do and my work gym membership resumes in July. So I’d like to go to one class a week in July and August and then resume 2 classes a week from September. This isn’t going to happen. I don’t think my foot is at all up to it and the money for gym membership is for this year going to be used on the allotment. That’s how it goes but I’m shelving Balance and will look at it again in 2017.
- Yoga. The evening routine is good for me so by the end of February, I want to be doing this at least twice a week. I am doing this at least once a week, with the decision not to resume other classes, I need to get into this more at home and it will be a little goal for July.
- Volunteering. I want to start attending the volunteer allotment days in June and this year use the two CSR days work gives me. I’m sure that my Mum can find a use for me either at the foodbank or the homeless project! I’m a little bit ahead of myself, I went back at for the May session at the allotments and will continue through the year. Ma reckons that I will be needed at the food bank during or just after harvest festival because that’s when they get deluged so I’m holding off until then.
- Books. The 12 book target was good but restrictive last year, I’m going to give myself a bit more leeway and have 24 books this year. I’ve bought 9 books so far this year, I’m feeling good about that.
- Work Uniform. This year I want to have a work uniform, but not use it as an excuse for buying more stuff. I need to wear office clothes 4 days a week so I will create 6 outfits for work make sure that 4 of them are clean and ready to go for Monday morning. This was a genius idea, it makes life much easier and as the only new clothing or footwear I’ve bought this year has been a new pair of jeans, I feel it’s helping me make the best of the clothes I have.
- 70,000 steps a week. Walking is still the best exercise I can think of and provided my foot holds up, I need to do more of it. I got there for 4 of the 5 weeks in the month. One was totally derailed by migraines.Daily exercise. 20 squats, 2x 30 second planks, 10 sit ups, 10 press ups. A repeat month and I need to do it 30 times this month. Complete and total fail, if I did it twice that’s about all I managed.
Yoga and Stretching. I need to do this everyday too. Stretching and exercises for the tendon issue in my foot I did do very day. Yoga I did once a week. I’m failing with the yoga but maybe July will be me lucky month.
Proper bedtimes. I love summer and the light nights so this is just a reminder that I need to go to bed at a reasonable time because I’m going to be awake before 5am because that’s when the sun comes up! Aced this, seriously, one week I managed an average of 5 hours sleep a night. Go me!