Back at the beginning of the year I made 12 resolutions. I’ve decided that today, which is always the day I look at my monthly goals, I should have a look and see how I did and have a think about the year generally.
Overall, it’s been a pretty good year, there are some things I’m really happy with and some that I’m not but I’ve been employed for the whole year and mostly happy. I’ve spent quite a bit of time in Watford with the family and my favourite nephew. I’m better at saying no to things. I hope that I’ve been a good friend this year, I’ve been more aware of how grateful I am for my friends and their presence in my life.
So those goals
1) I will make exercise part of my life again, whether that’s running, bootcamp, classes or very long walks. I will to spent 2012 making it a priority. 2-3 times a week, nothing scary..
It’s fair to say I’ve not been consistent about this. I have exercised, I walked more, I ran a bit but I suck at consistency.
2) I will eat properly. I know about the drastic impact good food choices make to my life. This doesn’t mean that I won’t eat cake and have the odd cocktail but I will be more mindful about what I choose to eat.
This I think has been the biggest change. I eat less junk, I have 2 vegetarian days a week, I get more than my 5 a day and eat more beans and lentils. The biggest impact this has had is on my PMT, although I’m still having the monthly migraines, I’m not for the most part bursting into tears at the drop of a hat. I do wish that I’d been better at resisting treats in the office so I’m going to work on that in 2013.
3) I will set monthly goals. This is working for me at the moment and I’m not saying that I will always meet those goals but having something to aim at really helps.
I’ve done this and been successful in meeting some goals and failed in others. Having that monthly push has helped a lot.
4) By the end of 2012, I will work towards being 12st (that’s 168lb or 76kg to everyone else). That’s about 34lbs. I’m aiming for a pound a week and if that all went to plan would hit that goal just in time for Christelle’s wedding! However, I’m not going to aim for that, I’m going to say by the end of the year because stuff happens!
I didn’t do this at all! I weighed myself yesterday and I’m exactly the same weight I was at the beginning of this year. I don’t feel as bad about that as I thought I might. What I really want is to be fit. Next year I’m not going to set a weight goal, I’m going to concentrate on eating well and exercising and seeing what happens.
5) I will take more photos and learn how to use my camera! I have a lovely DLSR camera but I often end up using the ‘little’ one to take photos because it’s easier and I don’t really know how to use the DLSR to it’s fullest extent. This year Sarah has asked me to take photos for her wedding and I’d like to do it to the best of my ability which means getting to grips with the camera.
One of the saddest things about this year is how little, I’ve used the camera. I took the photos at the wedding and I’ve taken others photos but sometimes it’s just too much hassle to carry the camera everywhere.
6) I will go on holiday this year. I don’t really do holidays but I would like that to change, starting this year.
I went on two holidays this year. A week in Northumberland in May and a week in Yorkshire in September. I went with Ma and it was lovely. We’re going back to Northumberland next year in April and I have a feeling that it will be a yearly thing because we both love it up there.
7) Buy a new wardrobe. The one I have was a cheap canvas and wood thing I bought when I moved into the flat, it was less than £30 and never designed to last this long. Currently the only thing keeping it upright is some strategically placed boxes. Time to treat my clothes better and tidy up that messy corner of my bedroom.
I haven’t done this yet. I haven’t had the money. I still don’t have the money. It’s still a messy corner in by bedroom.
8) I will go to the cinema once a month. When I was in Fulham, Ma and I went to the cinema practically every Sunday. It’s harder to do in Ealing, but I’m going to budget for once a month movies.
Mmm, the last film I saw at the cinema was Skyfall. Life has just been too busy which is a poor excuse.
9) I will learn to crochet. Because I can’t and it looks like fun.
I didn’t learn to crochet, I have a crochet kit and I got confused by the instructions. I did take it to Yorkshire with me but got distracted by knitting ‘Fat Lamb’ and that was that.
10) I will have a clear out. I have too much stuff, in 2012, I will look at the things I have, clear out the things I don’t need and use and organise the things I have better. (Like all things that might have to start in the kitchen!!)
Whether I did this or not is a debatable point. Ma would say not, I would say it’s a work in progress and part of that work is not bringing things in. I did have a massive clothes clean out at the beginning of the year!
11) On that note I will start to clear down the ‘To Be Read’ list. I’ve read 69 books this year and very few of them are from the pile!!
My weakness. It’s less but still quite large.
12) I will do another bootcamp with Jem. I’ve really enjoyed this one, despite the dodgy knees and miserable weather.
I loved bootcamp last year and booked for the February one. However, at just that point work went bananas and I was doing the work of three people with 6 weeks in the job. It wasn’t at all doable, in the end I did a couple of one-on-one sessions with Jem. Longer term, it’s too far away for me to do the bootcamp and go to work!