On Saturday morning, I was facing a stack of compost to wheelbarrow to the plot, but my lovely friends Sue and Richard came and rescued me with their car and by 10:30 all of the compost was at the plot.
I used three bags topping up two beds, and then another two and a half bags, mulching the rhubarb and the flower beds.
I’ve also made the decision to remove the sides from the gooseberry beds and to use them to edge the pond and the rose garden.
That done I started to collect woodchip for the areas that hadn’t been woodchipped yet.
It was a lot, I did about 12 loads before my back had enough and I stopped.
This was the list last week:
Mulch the rhubarb and weed and mulch the flower beds
- Raise the kale bed and top up with compost
- Divide the squash bed
- Weed the area next to the squash bed and cover with cardboard (and woodchip if any has been delivered!)
- Close and move the chard bed, raise it a bit and top up with compost
- Feed the onions, garlic and shallots
- Top up beds that need it and sow broad beans, peas, beetroot and carrots.
As you can see I didn’t get much of that done. Fortunately there is always next week!