This was emergency cake. Max was coming for lunch and I had promised cake, however, the night before I’d been out and hadn’t really given baking much thought. I found myself with about an hour to get ready and bake. There were nectarines in the fridge and this was the result.
I decided to go with a nectarine version of the summer strawberry cake on Smitten Kitchen. The strawberry version is amazing so I didn’t think I could go much wrong but I didn’t have any milk so used plain yogurt instead! They were really good!
Nectarine summer cupcakes
Adapted from Smitten Kitchen
3oz unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups plain flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon table salt
1 cup golden caster sugar (2 tablespoons for the nectarines)
1 large egg
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1 teaspoon (5 ml) vanilla extract
1) Preheat oven to 180°C
2) Put cake cases in muffin pan (I got 15 cakes out of this).
3) Cut nectarines into small pieces, put in small bowl stir in 2 tablespoons of sugar
4) In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar together until pale and fluffy.
5) Add egg, yogurt and vanilla until just combined.
6) Add flour, baking powder and salt to the mixture and mix in until just smooth.
7) Divide cake batter into muffin pan and add nectarines to the top. (As much as you can fit in!)
8) Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until skewer comes out free of cake batter. (my oven runs hot so it may take slightly longer for people with normal ovens!)