This week we planted out all the things.The jury is out on how many will survive, the tomatoes and cucumbers look to be in a bad way right now. I have some spare plum tomatoes that can replace the dead tomatoes and I have resown some cucumbers, cherry tomatoes and a crookneck.I should be a better plant parent and harden them off and so on but I don’t. Apparently, being a seedling in my care is the plant equivalent of being raised by Spartans. You live or you die!
However, we did good work at the weekend, not enough weeding for Ma but it’s all coming together. We filled the new bed at the top of the plot with compost, we used coir and our favourite Wilko’s value compost to get about 100 litres. There was no reason for using it, it was the stuff we could carry. Although looking at the health of the three uchiki kuri plants in that bed, I’m going to consider adding it in future to the beds for the thirstier plants for it’s water retaining properties.We planted the four other uchiki kuri plants in the containers, to hopefully grow up the arch! The ‘soil’ in these containers is amazing. When I first got the plot, I moved both containers to this position and it’s where we put all the weeds we were digging up, which we covered and left, the rotted down and last year I filled both containers with a bunch of wood chip and then more Wilko value compost and I planted squash in them last year. In the autumn, I added manure and the spent compost from the buckets and covered. It’s rotted down really well and I’m hopeful that it’ll grow some amazing squash this year!We also planted out courgettes and cucumbers and sowed sweetcorn. I had three spare cucumbers that went in with the sweetcorn. When (if) the sweetcorn is about 9-10 inches high, I’ll sow borlotti beans next to them to climb up. Hopefully the cucumbers will survive and provide ground cover. The worse that can happen is that it doesn’t work!
We did a little rearranging and I have four beds of tomatoes (if they live!) and instead of my planned two courgettes and two crooknecks, we have four courgettes and one crookneck. The lack of crooknecks is because two didn’t survive transportation to the plot and we had two spare courgettes and I have trouble not planting them out. I did this last year too!
Do you remember that I repotted the mint a couple of months ago? You all know how hard it is to kill mint? Reader, I killed the mint. Which meant I had two lovely terracotta pots, into which I planted the cucamelons. I’ll buy another mint at some point to go into the green box.I know that I’m going to end up with more stuff in buckets, I want to do another bucket of radishes and carrots and you know that there will be spare tomatoes. At some point I need to move that cloche and plant something there..
That’s nearly it for planting out. I have three butternut and three boston squash that need homes and I need to pot on and then plant out the basil. The next thing for me to do it think about later summer and autumn crops (pak choi, cauliflowers, kale, chard and more salad crops) most of the rest of my summer is going to be about watering, weeding, and with any luck, harvesting.
Some longer term things are planting bulbs in autumn, wood chip at the top of the plot, patio, support for the raspberries, autumn raspberries in another spot and expanding my blueberry empire.